Hariri Center Director Michele Dunne and Senior Fellow Amy Hawthorne reflect on US policy toward the Middle East and North Africa in the two years since President Barack Obama promised to make it a top priority to support democracy and human rights in the region.
J. Peter Pham, director the Atlantic Council’s Michael S. Ansari Africa Center, was one of four experts invited to address a high-level international conference on the crisis in the Sahel region convened today in The Hague.
Rudolph Atallah, senior fellow in the Atlantic Council’s Michael S. Ansari Africa Center, testified at a House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs hearing on “The Growing Crisis in Africa’s Sahel Region.”
On the heels of Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s visit to the United States, Energy & Environment Program Associate Director Mihaela Carstei joins CTV to discuss the Keystone Pipeline project that would transport tar sands oil from Canada and the northern United States to refineries in the Gulf coast of Texas.
Damon Wilson, vice president and director of the Atlantic Council's International Security Program, appeared on PBS NewsHour to discuss the January 17 presidential election in Ukraine, the country's first vote for president since the 2004 Orange Revolution. Wilson described the election as a "very significant transfer of power." His comments start at the 4:52 mark.
Wilson served as Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for European Affairs at the National Security Council from 2007 to 2009.
Ukraine Presidential Election 2010 Blog Series:
- Ukraine Elections: Let's Not Get Carried Away – Nikolas Gvosdev
- Re-Introducing Viktor Yanukovych – Adrian Karatnycky
- EU Energy Security May Depend on Ukraine Election Runoff – Alexandros Petersen
- Ukraine Election: A Yushchenko Post-Mortem – Adrian Karatnycky
- Ukraine Presidential Results: Calling it Right – Adrian Karatnycky
- Yanukovych Comes Out On Top, But Tymoshenko Has Momentum – Damon Wilson
- Ukraine Election Day: First Thoughts – Adrian Karatnycky
- A Glass Half Full: Contemplating a Yanukovych Presidency – Nikolas Gvosdev
- Ukraine's Anti-Orange Election – Alexander J. Motyl
- Ukraine Election Backgrounder – Adrian Karatnycky
2010 Election Analysis:
- Interview: Alexander Motyl: More Political Turmoil May Follow Ukraine Elections
- Interview: Damon Wilson on PBS NewsHour
- Interview: Damon Wilson on VOA Ukrainian Service
- Editorial: Orange Appeal: Ukraine's Revolutionary Leaders Compete – Adrian Karatnycky
- Event: Ukraine Presidential Election Preview
Related Atlantic Council Work:
- Event: Black Sea Energy and Economic Forum 2009
- Interview: Damon Wilson Analyzes Biden's Trip to Ukraine and Georgia
- Editorial: Historical Battle Lines – Adrian Karatnycky and Alexander J. Motyl
- Press Release: Atlantic Council Expands Ukraine Program
- Editorial: The Key to Kiev – Adrian Karatnycky and Alexander J. Motyl
- Event: Council Hosts Ukrainian President Yushchenko
- Publication: Corruption, Democracy and Investment in Ukraine
Related New Atlanticist Analysis:
- Russian Economy and the Balance of Power – Nikolas Gvosdev
- The Two Timetables – Niklolas Gvosdev
- Losing New Europe, Too? – James Joyner
- Biden Defines Europe Policy – Damon Wilson
- Europe Needs Diversified Energy Strategy – Borut Grgic
- Ukraine: A Delicate Balancing Act – David J. Kramer and Damon Wilson
On May 30, the Atlantic Council’s South Asia Center will release a new issue brief, The Kaleidoscope Turns Again in a Crisis-Challenged Iran, a discussion of Iran’s upcoming presidential elections.
From June 13-14, the 2013 Wrocław Global Forum will bring together over 350 top policy-makers and business leaders to explore the region’s impact as an actor in Europe, as well as its crucial role in the transatlantic partnership and on the global stage.