Hariri Center Director Michele Dunne and Senior Fellow Amy Hawthorne reflect on US policy toward the Middle East and North Africa in the two years since President Barack Obama promised to make it a top priority to support democracy and human rights in the region.
J. Peter Pham, director the Atlantic Council’s Michael S. Ansari Africa Center, was one of four experts invited to address a high-level international conference on the crisis in the Sahel region convened today in The Hague.
Rudolph Atallah, senior fellow in the Atlantic Council’s Michael S. Ansari Africa Center, testified at a House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs hearing on “The Growing Crisis in Africa’s Sahel Region.”
On the heels of Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s visit to the United States, Energy & Environment Program Associate Director Mihaela Carstei joins CTV to discuss the Keystone Pipeline project that would transport tar sands oil from Canada and the northern United States to refineries in the Gulf coast of Texas.
At a public event on September 15, the Atlantic Council's Iran Task Force launched the issue brief How Reliable is Intelligence on Iran's Nuclear Program? authored by Task Force member Barbara Slavin.
About the Iran Task Force
The Iran Task Force is co-chaired by Atlantic Council Chairman Senator Chuck Hagel and Ambassador Stuart Eizenstat. The Iran Task Force seeks to perform a comprehensive analysis of Iran’s internal political landscape, as well as its role in the region and globally, to assess whether there are any elements within the country and region that can build the basis for an improved relationship with the West and how these elements, if they exist, could be utilized by U.S. policymakers. The Task Force was launched in February of 2010 with support from the Ploughshares Fund.
Iran Task Force Briefings:
- Iran Task Force Briefing Five: A Conversation with Stuart Levey
- Iran Task Force Briefing Four: Negotiating with Iran in an International Context
- Iran Task Force Briefing Three: Deputy Secretary of Energy Daniel B. Poneman
- Iran Task Force Briefing Two: Opposition Movements in Iran
- Iran Task Force Briefing One: Can There Be Another Iran?
Iran Task Force Publications:
- Iran Sanctions: Preferable to War but No Silver Bullet
- "Strategically Lonely" Iran Exploits Opportunities for Regional Influence
- The Iran Stalemate and the Need for Strategic Patience
Iran Task Force Issue Brief Launches:
- How Reliable is Intelligence on Iran’s Nuclear Program?
- Iran Symposium and Launch of Iran Sanctions: Preferable to War but no Silver Bullet
- Issue Brief Launch: "'Strategically Lonely' Iran Exploits Opportunities for Regional Influence"
- Iran Issue Brief Launch: The Iran Stalemate
For more writings and news items, please visit the Iran Task Force page.
Most Popular Publications
On May 23, the Atlantic Council’s Middle East Peace and Security Initiative at the Brent Scowcroft Center on International Security is hosting a panel discussion on new developments in security cooperation among the United States, its European allies, and the Gulf states, and how they are likely to evolve in the coming years.
On May 30, the Atlantic Council’s South Asia Center will release a new issue brief, The Kaleidoscope Turns Again in a Crisis-Challenged Iran, a discussion of Iran’s upcoming presidential elections.
From June 13-14, the 2013 Wrocław Global Forum will bring together over 350 top policy-makers and business leaders to explore the region’s impact as an actor in Europe, as well as its crucial role in the transatlantic partnership and on the global stage.