On the heels of Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s visit to the United States, Energy & Environment Program Associate Director Mihaela Carstei joins CTV to discuss the Keystone Pipeline project that would transport tar sands oil from Canada and the northern United States to refineries in the Gulf coast of Texas.
UPDATE: Chuck Hagel has been confirmed as Secretary of Defense. Here is a statement from President and CEO of the Atlantic Council, Fred Kempe.
Earlier Update: The Senate Armed Services Committee confirmation hearing for former Senator Chuck Hagel was held on Thursday, Jan. 31. Video of his testimony is available here. Hagel's remarks, as prepared for delivery, can be read here.
Atlantic Council Chairman Chuck Hagel has been nominated as Secretary of Defense by President Obama.
Collected below are items of interest by and about Senator Chuck Hagel on the Council website.
Atlantic Council Press Releases:
- President Obama Nominates Chuck Hagel, Atlantic Council Chairman, for Secretary of Defense
- Chuck Hagel New Atlantic Council Chairman
Statements By Atlantic Council Board and Staff on Hagel Nomination
- Brent Scowcroft, International Advisory Board Chairman:
"Senator Hagel is one of the most well-respected and thoughtful voices on both foreign and domestic policy. At an uncertain time in America—with a significant debt burden, a polarized Congress, and a host of challenges facing the international community—we are confident Senator Hagel will be able to provide a vibrant, no-nonsense voice of logic and leadership to the United States."
- Frederick Kempe, President and CEO:
"His approach to addressing crucial global challenges is to forge bipartisan support at home and deepen engagement with allies and friends abroad—the essence of the Atlantic Council mission. We praise President Obama for his wisdom in employing Senator Hagel's unique experience and talents."
- Colin Powell, Honorary Board Director:
"Chuck displays his courage in many ways. You can always count on him to analyze a difficult situation and take a position that reflects his best judgment. I believe that more than ever we need that kind of independent and bold leader who thinks in and out of the box. He is the kind of leader needed by the Department of Defense to deal with the strategic and resource challenges it will be facing over the next several years."
- Robert Gates, Honorary Board Director:
"[H]e is a man of complete integrity and deep patriotism. . . . The country and our men and women in uniform would be well-served by his swift confirmation."
- James L. Jones, Brent Scowcroft, Zbigniew Brzezinski, and Frank Carlucci, Board Directors:
"Hagel is a man of unshakable integrity and wisdom who has served his country in the most distinguished manner in peace and war. He is a rare example of a public servant willing to rise above partisan politics to advance the interests of the United States and its friends and allies."
- Nicholas Burns and Thomas Pickering, Board Directors:
"As a decorated Vietnam veteran, an extremely successful entrepreneur in the private sector and as a two-term senator, he brings unusually high qualifications and experiences to the Department of Defense at this time of budget constraint and challenges to reshape America’s military power while keeping it strong for the coming decades."
- Brent Scowcroft, Chuck Wald, and Anthony Zinni - Board Directors:
"He would bring a long-term strategic vision to the job and to the President’s Cabinet. . . .Most importantly, we believe that the person who can best lead the Pentagon is one who understands the importance of the challenges that our warfighter faces. Everyone in the Department of Defense, from the most-recently enlisted Privates to the senior General Officers, respect his service to his country on the battlefields in Vietnam. Even more, his decades of work with Veterans organizations show that he will forcefully advocate for continued support to the men and women of our armed forces long after they have returned from today’s battlefields."
- Richard Burt, Ryan Crocker, Thomas Pickering, and Frank Wisner, Board Directors and Ross Wilson, Director, Patriciu Eurasia Center:
"Few are as qualified, courageous, or well equipped to head the Department of Defense at this critical moment as the nation seeks to strengthen America's role in this changing world."
Senator Hagel Speaking at Atlantic Council Events:
Atlantic Council Publications Chaired By Senator Hagel
- Astana on the Atlantic: Transatlantic Strategy in Central Asia and the OSCE
- Kerry and Hagel Unveil Atlantic Council's Pakistan Report
- Pakistan Report: Comprehensive U.S. Policy Needed
New Atlanticist Columns By Senator Hagel
- The Challenge of Change
- U.S. Risks World-Leader Role
- Paying the Consequences of 9/11 Overreach
- Defining A New World Order
- Limits of Force: The U.S. in the 21st Century
- Afghanistan, Vietnam, and the Limits of Force
Related New Atlanticist Columns
- The Trials of Chuck Hagel - Harlan Ullman
- Hagel Hearings: Garbage In, Garbage Out - James Joyner
- Chuck Hagel, a Leader for All - Damon Wilson
- Republican Foreign Policy in Name Only - James Joyner
- Chuck Hagel: A Defense Secretary Who Knows Price of War - James Joyner
- Chuck Hagel, Israel, and Honest Debate - James Joyner
- Hagel: US Must Turn Receivers On, Transmitters Off - James Joyner
Atlantic Council News Items:
- Damon Wilson Discusses Senator Hagel's Stance on Issues (Voice of Russia)
- Fred Kempe on Senator Hagel's Nomination (Fox News DEFCON3)
- Fred Kempe on Senator Hagel's Nomination (MSNBC's Morning Joe)
- Hagel Recipient of Global Leadership Award from the International Student House
- Chuck Hagel Delivers Keynote at POW/MIA Recognition Day Ceremony
- Chuck Hagel Discusses Eurozone Crisis and Syria on Reuters TV
- Senator Hagel and Butch Bracknell on NPR for Memorial Day Remembrance
- Chuck Hagel Featured as "HBO History Maker"
- Chuck Hagel on PBS NewsHour to Discuss Bin Laden Death
- Chuck Hagel on Piers Morgan Tonight
- Senator Hagel Interview: Hagel May Have Left Senate Behind, But Not His Candor About Politics
- Hagel, Scowcroft Appointed to Department of Energy Nuclear Commission
- Atlantic Council Chairman to Co-Chair President's Intelligence Advisory Board
- Chuck Hagel New Co-Chair of President's Intelligence Advisory Board
- Chuck Hagel Delivers Speech for J Street First National Conference
- Senator Chuck Hagel on the Role of Leadership in Foreign Policy
- Hagel on Limits of Force
- Chuck Hagel: One of "50 Politicos to Watch"
- Chuck Hagel Discusses Obama in Moscow
- Chuck Hagel Appointed to New Defense Policy Board
- Chuck Hagel Delivers Keynote Speech for Angela Merkel
- Senator Chuck Hagel Speaks at Atlantic Council Awards Dinner
- Chuck Hagel on the Rachel Maddow Show
- Q&A with Chuck Hagel: Knitting Together an Unraveling World
- Chuck Hagel on CNN's American Morning: Transcript
- Chuck Hagel in the News
On May 22, the Atlantic Council's Cyber Statecraft Initiative will hold a discussion on the history of cyber critical infrastructure protection in recognition of the 15th anniversary of Presidential Decision Directive 63 (PDD-63).
On May 30, the Atlantic Council’s South Asia Center will release a new issue brief, The Kaleidoscope Turns Again in a Crisis-Challenged Iran, a discussion of Iran’s upcoming presidential elections.
From June 13-14, the 2013 Wrocław Global Forum will bring together over 350 top policy-makers and business leaders to explore the region’s impact as an actor in Europe, as well as its crucial role in the transatlantic partnership and on the global stage.