NATOSource is proudly sponsored by EADS North America
- Congo (DRC)
- Czech Republic
- North Korea
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- South Korea
- Taiwan (ROC)
From Anders Fogh Rasmussen, NATO: [L]et me make this clear: The security of the Alliance is indivisible. We stand together with Turkey in the spirit of strong solidarity.
And with that, I am ready to take a couple of questions.
OANA LUNGESCU (NATO Spokesperson): NTV Turkey.
Q: Secretary General, (inaudible...) from NTV Turkey. The Alliance has shown a great solidarity towards Turkey, but if this happens one more time, if this occurs one more time by Syria, is the Alliance ready to make more to make a prudent planning, or something like that? It's really what's the step forward? Thank you.
ANDERS FOGH RASMUSSEN (NATO Secretary General): I would certainly expect that such an incident won't happen again. Should anything happen Allies will remain seized of development, we closely monitor the situation and if necessary we will consult and discuss what else could be done.
OANA LUNGESCU: Al Arabiya.
Q: Noureddine Fridhi from Arabiya news centre. Secretary General, I have one question and a half. My first question is, you discussed on the basis of Article 4, did you raise the Article 5 and which are the next steps? And if you also are in a position today to tell us if, how long the Turkish jet stay in the Syrian air space, or it did not enter at all in the Syrian air space? Thank you.
ANDERS FOGH RASMUSSEN: I will not go into details on the briefing we got today. We did not discuss Article 5. We have had a consultation based on Article 4, which is normal. Turkey has requested such a consultation. We have discussed the situation and Allies have expressed their strong support for and solidarity with Turkey. And as far as future developments are concerned, we have stated in today's statement that we will remain seized of developments.
OANA LUNGESCU: The lady over there.
Q: (Inaudible...) from Turkish TV 24. If Syria continues to escalate the tension what can be the limits of NATO to respond to this violence against Turkey in the border? Thank you very much.
ANDERS FOGH RASMUSSEN: It's my clear expectation that the situation won't continue to escalate. What we have seen is a completely unacceptable act and I would expect Syria to take all necessary steps to avoid such events in the future.
As regards to the development in the region, we monitor the situation closely and as stated, we will remain seized of developments.
Excerpt from press briefing by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen following the meeting of the North Atlantic Council. (photo: NATO)
The daily news of the world's most powerful alliance.
The views expressed in NATOSource are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Atlantic Council, its staff, or its supporters.
Follow on Twitter: @NATOSource
"I am an enormous fan of NATOSource. I use it virtually every day, because it provides a wide variety of views, a solid base of factual knowledge, and keeps me in touch with the world of NATO."
(Graphics: Deutsche Welle and Reuters)
Most Popular NATOSource Posts
- Alliance Unity
- Allied Command Operations
- Allied Command Transformation
- Article 5
- Burden Sharing
- Capabilities Gap
- Chicago Summit
- Cyber Threats
- Defense Spending
- Energy Security
- High North
- Missile Defense
- NATO Defense Ministerials
- NATO Exercises
- NATO Ministerials
- NATO Operations
- NATO Partnerships
- NATO Response Force
- Nuclear Weapons
- Secretary General
- Smart Defense
- Special Forces
- Strategic Concept
- Transatlantic Relations
- United Nations
- Weapon Systems
- Associated Press
- Baltic Times
- Brussels blog
- Deutsche Welle
- EU Observer
- European Voice
- Financial Times
- Hurriyet Daily News
- International Herald Tribune
- Kyiv Post
- Le Monde Diplomatique
- Moscow Times
- New York Times
- Prague Daily Monitor
- Radio Free Europe
- Ria Novosti
- Russia Today
- Slovak Spectator
- St. Petersburg Times
- Times (London)
- Today's Zaman
- Wall Street Journal
- Washington Post
- American Enterprise Institute (AEI), United States
- Aspen Institute, United States
- Atlantic Council, United States
- Brookings Institution, United States
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, United States
- Cato Institute, United States
- Center for a New American Security (CNAS), United States
- Center for International Relations (CIR), Poland
- Center for Security Studies (CSS), Switzerland
- Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), United States
- Center for Transatlantic Relations, United States
- Cicero Foundation, Netherlands
- Council on Foreign Relations, United States
- Danish Institute of International Studies (DIIS), Denmark
- EU Institute for Security Studies, France
- European Council on Foreign Relations, Bulgaria, France, Germany, Spain, UK
- European Institute, United States
- Fondation pour la Recherche Stratégique (FRS), France
- French Institute of International Relations (IFRI), France
- Fundacion para el Análisis y los Estudios Sociale (FAES), Spain
- German Council on Foreign Relations (DGAP), Germany
- German Marshall Fund of the United States, United States
- Grupo de Estudios Estratégicos (GEES), Spain
- Heritage Foundation, United States
- Hoover Institution, United States
- Institut de Relations Internationales et Stratégiques (IRIS), France
- Institute for Foreign Policy Analysis (IFPA), United States
- Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP), Germany
- Instituto Affari Internazionali (IAI), Italy
- International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS), United Kingdom
- Konrad Adenauer Stiftung, Germany
- Lemnitzer Center, United States
- Marshall Center, Germany
- Netherlands Institute of International Relations (Clingendael), Netherlands
- Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI), Norway
- RAND, United States
- Real Instituto Elcano, Spain
- Ridgway Center, United States
- Royal Institute of International Affairs (Chatham House), United Kingdom
- Royal United Services Institute (RUSI), United Kingdom
- Schuman Center (RSCAS), Italy
- Security & Defence Agenda (SDA), Belgium
- Strategy International (SI), Greece
- U.S. Institute of Peace, United States
- Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, United States