Rudolph Atallah, senior fellow in the Atlantic Council’s Michael S. Ansari Africa Center, testified at a House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs hearing on “The Growing Crisis in Africa’s Sahel Region.”
On the heels of Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s visit to the United States, Energy & Environment Program Associate Director Mihaela Carstei joins CTV to discuss the Keystone Pipeline project that would transport tar sands oil from Canada and the northern United States to refineries in the Gulf coast of Texas.
President of the World Bank Robert Zoellick joined the Council to offer his perspective on the state of the world economy. At the end of a tumultuous year, Zoellick discussed the issues critical to shaping the global economic future and the continuing struggle of emerging economies as they endure the crisis.
Francis Kelly, Atlantic Council Board member and Managing Director and Head of Government Affairs Americas of Deutsche Bank, introduced Zoellick. The event was moderated by Atlantic Council president and CEO Frederick Kempe. The discussion was part of the Mapping the Economic and Financial Future Series, a lecture series featuring high-level business leaders and economic policymakers from the U.S. and Europe hosted by the Council’s Global Business and Economics Program.
- World Bank's Zoellick Warns Against Rising Protectionism – Dow Jones Newswires, Henry J. Pulizzi
- Early Word: Peace Prize – The Caucus, New York Times, Janie Lorber
- Wire Watch – Wire Watch, Wall Street Journal, Susan Davis
New Atlanticist Analysis:
- Different Economic Tones in Europe and Asia
- Zoellick: U.S. Must Play Active Role in Multilateral System
Mapping the Economic and Financial Future Series:
- Reforming the World Bank and IMF: A Conversation with Nancy Birdsall
- Tim Adams on China and the Global Economic Recovery
- EU Commissioner Charlie McCreevy: Regulating Financial Markets in Crisis
- Youssef Boutros Ghali Discusses IMF, Economic Crisis
- Josef Ackermann on the Global Economic and Financial Crisis
- Kroes Speaks on Economic Crisis
The Mapping the Economic and Financial Future Series is generously supported by Deutsche Bank.
Trackback URL for this post:
On May 22, the Atlantic Council's Cyber Statecraft Initiative will hold a discussion on the history of cyber critical infrastructure protection in recognition of the 15th anniversary of Presidential Decision Directive 63 (PDD-63).
On May 23, the Atlantic Council’s Middle East Peace and Security Initiative at the Brent Scowcroft Center on International Security is hosting a panel discussion on new developments in security cooperation among the United States, its European allies, and the Gulf states, and how they are likely to evolve in the coming years.
On May 30, the Atlantic Council’s South Asia Center will release a new issue brief, The Kaleidoscope Turns Again in a Crisis-Challenged Iran, a discussion of Iran’s upcoming presidential elections.
From June 13-14, the 2013 Wrocław Global Forum will bring together over 350 top policy-makers and business leaders to explore the region’s impact as an actor in Europe, as well as its crucial role in the transatlantic partnership and on the global stage.