Hariri Center Director Michele Dunne and Senior Fellow Amy Hawthorne reflect on US policy toward the Middle East and North Africa in the two years since President Barack Obama promised to make it a top priority to support democracy and human rights in the region.
J. Peter Pham, director the Atlantic Council’s Michael S. Ansari Africa Center, was one of four experts invited to address a high-level international conference on the crisis in the Sahel region convened today in The Hague.
Rudolph Atallah, senior fellow in the Atlantic Council’s Michael S. Ansari Africa Center, testified at a House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs hearing on “The Growing Crisis in Africa’s Sahel Region.”
On the heels of Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s visit to the United States, Energy & Environment Program Associate Director Mihaela Carstei joins CTV to discuss the Keystone Pipeline project that would transport tar sands oil from Canada and the northern United States to refineries in the Gulf coast of Texas.
NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen, Supreme Allied Commander James Stavridis, ISAF Commander David Petreaus, and UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon will be among the speakers at the 2010 Young Atlanticist Summit in Lisbon.
About the 2010 Young Atlanticist Summit
While NATO leaders negotiate key points of a new strategic concept, NATO’s first in more than a decade, the Atlantic Council, Atlantic Treaty Association and Portuguese Atlantic Committee will bring together a new generation of leaders from dozens of countries from November 18-20 in Lisbon, Portugal to discuss modern challenges facing the intergovernmental alliance created more than 60 years ago.
The Young Atlanticist Summit in Lisbon will bring together top young leaders from NATO, Partnership for Peace and Mediterranean Dialogue countries in conjunction with the 2010 NATO Summit. Here, these Young Atlanticists will meet with heads of state and senior NATO officials, with whom they will discuss the Strategic Concept and the issues facing the Alliance. Participants will also engage in discussion with one another about their views on NATO and its future.
In addition to these meetings, the delegates will be providing their unique insights on the happenings of the Summit, which they will be sharing throughout the summit. Results will be uploaded as available to the Young Atlanticist Summit Facebook page and the highlights will be aggregated on this page as available.
George Papandreou, Greek Prime Minister
Admiral James Stavridis, Supreme Allied Commander
José Sócrates, Portuguese Prime Minister
Anders Fogh Rasmussen, NATO Secretary General - Prepared Remarks
General David Petraeus, ISAF Commander - Transcript
Jamie Shea, Director of Policy Planning in the Private Office of the Secretary General, NATO - Transcript
- "Turkey's global role applauded by Young Atlanticists" - Hurriyet Daily News
- "Ashraf Ghani: UN Should Get Out of Afghanistan" - Mark Leon Goldberg, New Atlanticist
- "Live Blogging the NATO Summit" - Mark Leon Goldberg, UN Dispatch
- "Young professionals meet in Lisbon, ahead of NATO Summit" - Emg.rs
- "U.S. Asst. Secretary for Defense Affirms U.S. support for Georgia's NATO aspirations" - Robert Nolan, Euro-Atlantic Security
- "Foreign Minister Paet in Lisbon: NATO Needs Partners and the Open-Door Policy"- Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- "NATO Secretary General and young professionals discuss new security challenges" - NATO News
- "Cold war era fades further as Russia, NATO agree to 'reset' relations" - Howard LaFranchi, Christian Science Monitor
- "Responsibility to Protect and South Sudan" - Mark Leon Goldberg, UN Dispatch
Trackback URL for this post:
On May 30, the Atlantic Council’s South Asia Center will release a new issue brief, The Kaleidoscope Turns Again in a Crisis-Challenged Iran, a discussion of Iran’s upcoming presidential elections.
From June 13-14, the 2013 Wrocław Global Forum will bring together over 350 top policy-makers and business leaders to explore the region’s impact as an actor in Europe, as well as its crucial role in the transatlantic partnership and on the global stage.