On the heels of Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s visit to the United States, Energy & Environment Program Associate Director Mihaela Carstei joins CTV to discuss the Keystone Pipeline project that would transport tar sands oil from Canada and the northern United States to refineries in the Gulf coast of Texas.
On May 19, the Atlantic Council featured a special Commanders Series event with NATO's top operational commander, Admiral James Stavridis and former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright. Admiral Stavridis delivered remarks on what NATO's new Strategic Concept means for Allied militaries and the next steps in NATO's transformation towards an Alliance ready to take on complex and asymmetrical 21st century challenges. Secretary Albright joined ADM Stavridis for a conversation moderated by Atlantic Council President and CEO Fred Kempe.
The Admiral’s visit to the Council comes two days after Secretary Albright’s release of the Group of Experts’ analysis and recommendations on NATO’s new Strategic Concept and follows on the heels of the release of the Council’s Strategic Advisors Group report, “STRATCON 2010: An Alliance for a Global Century,” which can be accessed here.
Related New Atlanticist Commentary:
- Stavridis: Despite Economic Woes, NATO Members Should Still Pay Up - John T. Bennett, Defense News
- Russia and NATO: "sworn" partners - Ilya Kharlamov, The Voice of Russia
- NATO likely to advance troop reduction in Balkans - Reuters
- NATO may cut troops in Kosovo later this year: commander - AFP
- Ex-Secty of State Madeleine Albright Pushes the (Character) Limit - Joi-Marie McKenzie, NBC Washington
- Stavridis Expands on NATO Strategic Concept's Aims - Jim Garamone, American Forces Press Service
Recent Commanders Series Discussions:
- General Stéphane Abrial, French Air Force: Commander, Allied Command Transformation
- General Kip Ward, USA: Commander, U.S. Africa Command
- General Jean-Louis Georgelin, French Army: Chief of Defense of France
- Admiral Timothy Keating, USN: Commander, U.S. Pacific Command
- General George W. Casey, Jr., USA: Chief of Staff
- General John Craddock, USA: Supreme Allied Commander Europe, NATO and Commander, U.S. European Command
- General David McKiernan, USA: Commander, ISAF and Commander, U.S. Forces Afghanistan
The Commanders Series is generously supported by Saab AB.
Trackback URL for this post:
On May 22, the Atlantic Council's Cyber Statecraft Initiative will hold a discussion on the history of cyber critical infrastructure protection in recognition of the 15th anniversary of Presidential Decision Directive 63 (PDD-63).
On May 30, the Atlantic Council’s South Asia Center will release a new issue brief, The Kaleidoscope Turns Again in a Crisis-Challenged Iran, a discussion of Iran’s upcoming presidential elections.
From June 13-14, the 2013 Wrocław Global Forum will bring together over 350 top policy-makers and business leaders to explore the region’s impact as an actor in Europe, as well as its crucial role in the transatlantic partnership and on the global stage.