Frederic C. Hof, senior fellow with the Hariri Middle East Center, appeared on Australia’s primetime news program to discuss the G8 countries’ talks on the Syria conflict, the Obama administration’s plans to arm the Syrian opposition while seeking a negotiated settlement, and the broader regional implications of the Syria conflict.
Atlantic Council managing editor James Joyner asks in The National Interest, "Why Should Congress and the Courts Care About Snooping If Citizens Don't?"
J. Peter Pham, director of the Atlantic Council’s Michael S. Ansari Africa Center, was interviewed by Brian Todd on CNN’s Situation Room in a segment on the discovery of evidence in northern Mali that al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) may have acquired surface-to-air missiles.
Atlantic Council Managing Editor James Joyner published an editorial in The National Interest arguing it's better to "trust in those charged with safeguarding our nation's secrets to do so honorably than to make every disgruntled Army private or low-level contractor a de facto national classification authority."
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton spoke on the future of NATO before the Atlantic Council on February 22. Council Chairman Senator Chuck Hagel offered welcoming remarks, and former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright introduced Secretary Clinton. Albright is the Chair of the Group of Experts commissioned by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen to advise the Alliance on a new Strategic Concept.
Secretary Clinton's speech was the opening event of the Washington Strategic Concept Seminar. This fourth and final Strategic Concept Seminar focused on future NATO capabilities and forces, as well as provided recommendations for drafting NATO’s next Strategic Concept. It was co-hosted by the National Defense University and Allied Command Transformation, in partnership with the Atlantic Council, the Center for Strategic and International Studies, the German Marshall Fund of the United States and the Johns Hopkins SAIS Center for Transatlantic Relations.
- HIGHLIGHT: Article 5 and NATO Expansion
- HIGHLIGHT: Russia
- HIGHLIGHT: Leadership Crisis among Democracies
- HIGHLIGHT: NATO Reform
- FULL SPEECH: The Future of NATO
- U.S., NATO seek better Russia ties – Reuters TV
- Clinton urges NATO security cooperation with Russia – Andrew Quinn, Reuters
- Clinton Urges Closer NATO Ties to Russia – Robert Burns, AP
- Clinton and Rasmussen on the future of NATO – Josh Rogin, The Cable, Foreign Policy
- Clinton Calls for Closer NATO-Russian Cooperation – Indira Lakshmanan, Bloomberg
- Clinton Urges NATO To Consider Energy Threats – Tom Risen, National Journal
- U.S.-Lithuania Relations - next steps - The Lithuania Tribune
New Atlanticist Analysis:
- Jones: NATO Must be Lean, Agile and Flexible
- NATO's New Strategic Concept Must Make Alliance Relevant
- Clinton: NATO Reform Needed
- Clinton: EU No Threat to NATO
- Clinton: Cyber Security and Energy Security as NATO Priorities
- Clinton on Russia and NATO
Atlantic Council NATO Issue Briefs:
- NATO Reform and Decision-Making
- Article 5 and Strategic Reassurance
- The U.S., NATO and the EU: Partnership in the Balance
- The Challenge: NATO Amidst Geopolitical Realities
- A New Transatlantic Compact for NATO
- Special Briefing on the Future of NATO – Ivo Daalder, Department of State
- Daily Appointments Schedule for February 23, 2010 – Department of State
- EVENT: NATO Secretary General Rasmussen: First Major U.S. Speech
- EVENT: Hillary Clinton: Freedom's Challenge
- EVENT: Senator Richard Lugar: Congressional Perspective on the Future of NATO
- CONFERENCE: Missile Defense in Europe: Next Steps
- TESTIMONY: Kurt Volker: Congressional Testimony – New NATO Strategic Concept
- TESTIMONY: Damon Wilson: Congressional Testimony on the Future of NATO
- EDITORIAL: Damon Wilson: NATO Steps Up to the Plate
- INTERVIEW: Kurt Volker: Alliance Contributions to Obama's Surge
- WORKSHOP: U.S. Force Posture in Europe
- PUBLICATION: Alliance Reborn: An Atlantic Compact for the 21st Century
- EVENT: Gordan Jandrokovic: Southeast Europe in NATO
- EVENT: Spanish Prime Minister Zapatero: U.S.-EU Strategic Partnership
- PUBLICATION: Forging a Strategic U.S.-EU Partnership
Trackback URL for this post:
On June 19, please join the Eurasia Center for a discussion on the IMF’s recent presentation Two Decades of Transition in Caucasus and Central Asia: Taking Stock and the Road Ahead with Dr. Juha Kähkönen, deputy director of the IMF’s Middle East and Central Asia department, and the Honorable William Courtney, former US ambassador to Georgia and Kazakhstan and former special assistant to the President and senior director of the National Security Council staff for Russia, Ukraine, and Eurasia. This event will be streamed LIVE from 10:30 a.m.
Tweet today's event with hashtag #ACIMF
On June 24, the Brent Scowcroft Center of the Atlantic Council will host a panel discussion on the most recent claims of Chinese cyber espionage and the implications of this threat for the US-China relationship and China's ties with its neighbors in Asia.
On June 27, the Atlantic Council’s Iran Task Force will launch a new issue brief by Ramin Asgard and Barbara Slavin entitled US-Iran Cultural Engagement: A Cost Effective Boon to US National Security, along with a public briefing on people-to-people exchanges with Iran.