Rudolph Atallah, senior fellow in the Atlantic Council’s Michael S. Ansari Africa Center, testified at a House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs hearing on “The Growing Crisis in Africa’s Sahel Region.”
On the heels of Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s visit to the United States, Energy & Environment Program Associate Director Mihaela Carstei joins CTV to discuss the Keystone Pipeline project that would transport tar sands oil from Canada and the northern United States to refineries in the Gulf coast of Texas.
Admiral Timothy Keating, Commander of U.S. Pacific Command, joined the Atlantic Council to discuss current security challenges in the Pacific, including North Korea’s recent nuclear tests and missile launches, practices to ensure peace and stability in a region of emerging powers and obstacles to maritime security.
|Walter B. Slocombe|
The event was moderated by Walter B. Slocombe, Secretary of the Atlantic Council and former Under Secretary of Defense for Policy. Admiral Keating's remarks were part of the Atlantic Council's Commanders Series, a lecture series of high-level U.S. and European military leaders hosted by the Council's International Security Program.
Podcast (MP3, 55 minutes):
- North Korean Actions ‘Disturbing,’ U.S. Prepared, Keating Says – Bloomberg, Viola Gienger
- New Pacific Strategy Builds on Partnerships, Commander Says – American Forces Press Service, Samantha L. Quigley
- 'Present US-India relation unthinkable in mid 80s' – Business Standard
- PACOM, Stalin and the Quality of Quantity – Ares Defense Technology Blog, Aviation Week, Michael Bruno
- Adm. Keating Talks Strategy With Atlantic Council – United States Pacific Command Blog, LCDR Chuck Bell
- Japan, TLAM/N, and Extended Deterrence – Federation of American Scientists Strategic Security Blog, Hans M. Kristensen
New Atlanticist Analysis:
- Four Revolutions in Warfare – Harlan Ullman
- A Constructivist Take on the Strait – Max Tsung-Chi Yu
- How Do They Know That? – Banning Garrett
- U.S. Military: Future Scenarios – Derek S. Reveron
- Achieving Peace and Security in Korea and Northeast Asia: A New U.S. Diplomatic Strategy toward North Korea
- Global Trends 2025: A Transformed World
- China and the Global Economic Recovery
- General James Jones: First U.S. Speech as National Security Advisor
- NIC Chairman Thomas Fingar Presents "Global Trends 2025"
- CIA Director Michael Hayden at Atlantic Council
Recent Commanders Series Discussions:
- General George W. Casey, Jr., USA: Chief of Staff
- General John Craddock, USA: Supreme Allied Commander Europe, NATO and Commander, U.S. European Command
- General David McKiernan, USA: Commander, ISAF and Commander, U.S. Forces Afghanistan
The Commanders Series is generously supported by Saab AB.
Photos by Julie Hittle.
Trackback URL for this post:
On May 22, the Atlantic Council's Cyber Statecraft Initiative will hold a discussion on the history of cyber critical infrastructure protection in recognition of the 15th anniversary of Presidential Decision Directive 63 (PDD-63).
On May 23, the Atlantic Council’s Middle East Peace and Security Initiative at the Brent Scowcroft Center on International Security is hosting a panel discussion on new developments in security cooperation among the United States, its European allies, and the Gulf states, and how they are likely to evolve in the coming years.
On May 30, the Atlantic Council’s South Asia Center will release a new issue brief, The Kaleidoscope Turns Again in a Crisis-Challenged Iran, a discussion of Iran’s upcoming presidential elections.
From June 13-14, the 2013 Wrocław Global Forum will bring together over 350 top policy-makers and business leaders to explore the region’s impact as an actor in Europe, as well as its crucial role in the transatlantic partnership and on the global stage.