Frederic C. Hof, senior fellow with the Hariri Middle East Center, appeared on Australia’s primetime news program to discuss the G8 countries’ talks on the Syria conflict, the Obama administration’s plans to arm the Syrian opposition while seeking a negotiated settlement, and the broader regional implications of the Syria conflict.
Atlantic Council managing editor James Joyner asks in The National Interest, "Why Should Congress and the Courts Care About Snooping If Citizens Don't?"
J. Peter Pham, director of the Atlantic Council’s Michael S. Ansari Africa Center, was interviewed by Brian Todd on CNN’s Situation Room in a segment on the discovery of evidence in northern Mali that al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) may have acquired surface-to-air missiles.
Atlantic Council Managing Editor James Joyner published an editorial in The National Interest arguing it's better to "trust in those charged with safeguarding our nation's secrets to do so honorably than to make every disgruntled Army private or low-level contractor a de facto national classification authority."
The Office of Development and External Relations (OER) seeks a talented and motivated intern to assist the Atlantic Council in strengthening its member relations (including board, corporate, and individual members). While the intern will focus on this area, h/she will also gain exposure to OER’s other two divisions: outreach and fundraising, and events.
Candidates should be able to commit to 30-40 hours per week for approximately 3 months. Start and end dates are negotiable, but are generally based on the college semester system (fall, spring, summer). This position is unpaid.
The intern will be responsible for the following:
- Engage in individual and corporate prospecting
- Assist in drafting correspondence and other written materials, including a monthly newsletter
- Conduct background research on individuals and companies
- Help with outreach and follow up to new corporate and individual members
- Maintain and update contact database
- Assist with membership campaigns
- Assist in planning and executing membership-related events including board meetings, small dinners, teleconferences, an annual members’ conference and the annual board dinner
Required Skills/Attributes for all candidates:
- Experience in fundraising/development, communications, events planning, and/or public relations
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent administrative and communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Diligent team player with strong initiative
- Excellent English language skills, both written and spoken
- Knowledge of and interest in international affairs preferred, but not required
To be considered for this position, please email a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the subject line, please indicate which program you are applying to.
The Atlantic Council of the United States is an equal opportunity employer.
On June 19, please join the Eurasia Center for a discussion on the IMF’s recent presentation Two Decades of Transition in Caucasus and Central Asia: Taking Stock and the Road Ahead with Dr. Juha Kähkönen, deputy director of the IMF’s Middle East and Central Asia department, and the Honorable William Courtney, former US ambassador to Georgia and Kazakhstan and former special assistant to the President and senior director of the National Security Council staff for Russia, Ukraine, and Eurasia. This event will be streamed LIVE from 10:30 a.m.
Tweet today's event with hashtag #ACIMF
On June 24, the Brent Scowcroft Center of the Atlantic Council will host a panel discussion on the most recent claims of Chinese cyber espionage and the implications of this threat for the US-China relationship and China's ties with its neighbors in Asia.
On June 27, the Atlantic Council’s Iran Task Force will launch a new issue brief by Ramin Asgard and Barbara Slavin entitled US-Iran Cultural Engagement: A Cost Effective Boon to US National Security, along with a public briefing on people-to-people exchanges with Iran.