Frederic C. Hof, senior fellow with the Hariri Middle East Center, appeared on Australia’s primetime news program to discuss the G8 countries’ talks on the Syria conflict, the Obama administration’s plans to arm the Syrian opposition while seeking a negotiated settlement, and the broader regional implications of the Syria conflict.
Atlantic Council managing editor James Joyner asks in The National Interest, "Why Should Congress and the Courts Care About Snooping If Citizens Don't?"
J. Peter Pham, director of the Atlantic Council’s Michael S. Ansari Africa Center, was interviewed by Brian Todd on CNN’s Situation Room in a segment on the discovery of evidence in northern Mali that al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) may have acquired surface-to-air missiles.
Atlantic Council Managing Editor James Joyner published an editorial in The National Interest arguing it's better to "trust in those charged with safeguarding our nation's secrets to do so honorably than to make every disgruntled Army private or low-level contractor a de facto national classification authority."
Title: Accounting Assistant
Division/Program: Finance and Administration
Supervisor: CFO/Assistant Controller
The Atlantic Council seeks a professional, energetic, and dependable employee for our accounting clerk position to support the CFO and Assistant Controller in carrying out the responsibilities of the Finance and Administration Division.
The successful candidate will communicate effectively, perform general accounting tasks and enjoy a fast paced, diverse culture.
- Maintain vendor files and handle inquiries from vendors.
- Audit petty cash for reimbursement.
- Process accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Maintain Division files for contracts, grant agreements and other financial documents.
- Process monthly journal entries.
- Process bank wires, both domestic and international.
- Manage employee credit card applications and charges.
- Perform other accounting, financial or administrative tasks as may be required from time to time by CFO or Assistant Controller.
- Course work completed in introductory accounting courses.
- A minimum of 0-2 years experience as an accounting assistant preferably in a non-profit environment.
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to accept direction on given assignments.
- Possession of strong organizational skills.
- Capable of multitasking duties.
- Professional appearance.
- An Associate’s Degree in Accounting, Business, or Finance (or related field) while working towards a Bachelors degree.
- A Bachelors degree looked upon favorably.
- Experience in Sage MIP accounting software.
The position is located in Washington, DC. To apply, please send your cover letter including salary expectations, resume to email@example.com. Please reference the position you are applying for.
The Atlantic Council of the United States is an equal opportunity employer.
On June 19, please join the Eurasia Center for a discussion on the IMF’s recent presentation Two Decades of Transition in Caucasus and Central Asia: Taking Stock and the Road Ahead with Dr. Juha Kähkönen, deputy director of the IMF’s Middle East and Central Asia department, and the Honorable William Courtney, former US ambassador to Georgia and Kazakhstan and former special assistant to the President and senior director of the National Security Council staff for Russia, Ukraine, and Eurasia. This event will be streamed LIVE from 10:30 a.m.
Tweet today's event with hashtag #ACIMF
On June 24, the Brent Scowcroft Center of the Atlantic Council will host a panel discussion on the most recent claims of Chinese cyber espionage and the implications of this threat for the US-China relationship and China's ties with its neighbors in Asia.
On June 27, the Atlantic Council’s Iran Task Force will launch a new issue brief by Ramin Asgard and Barbara Slavin entitled US-Iran Cultural Engagement: A Cost Effective Boon to US National Security, along with a public briefing on people-to-people exchanges with Iran.